Sunday, March 12, 2017

Dear New Teacher

Last weekend, I traveled to New York City to talk with potential teachers about the great things happening in my district and why they should consider a position in the Syracuse City School District. I met some extremely talented people with great potential and experience. In a meeting with Hunter College, I was asked what I look for in a high quality candidate. I was reminded of a letter I had written last summer after interviewing a number of potential candidates.

Dear New Teacher,

As you prepare to interview for a position in the field of education, whether it is for a daily substitute, a long-term substitute, or a probationary position, please take a moment to consider what you believe in and how we will see those beliefs come through in your interview. Your interview is the first step in establishing yourself as a professional - you must have a sense of who you are as a professional and what sets you apart from the other candidates who will walk through my door. There will be tough questions - about instruction, about classroom management, about teaching to get results - your answers should show that you have some experience thinking about these things. Please give this some thought. If all you know about differentiating instruction is "centers," then you need to really dig deeper. Your interview should set you apart and show that you are a well-read, thoughtful, and purposeful candidate who is going to be 100% committed to the children in my school. That's what I am looking for. I am looking for passionate, dedicated, hard-working individuals who will make a difference in the lives of my kids - what have you done, either personally or professionally, that demonstrates that and how will you make sure that I know you are the one that will make that difference? 

Our children are our most precious resource. Every minute that they are in classrooms must be purposefully crafted to move them closer to proficiency and intentionally implemented to ensure they have the skills they will need to be successful in their lives. New teachers must be able to take feedback, be coached, and see their practice with a growth  mindset. If you struggle with receiving feedback, being coached, or if you need to feel like you always have to get a gold star, you should spend some time reflecting on how that might get in the way of teaching for results. 

I need to see how you are going to love my kids. But not in that "oh, sweetie" kind of way. Love them enough to expect amazing things from them. Love them enough to have high expectations and consistency. Love them enough to be consistent in your planning, preparation, and instructional delivery so that they know you are always giving them your very best and they will give you their very best as a result. Love them enough to teach them that they can achieve academically and that they cannot act foolish. Love them enough to see past their surface and see them for who they can be. That's what I need from you, New Teacher. I need you to understand how important your role is. You have the power to change the world. You have the power to change lives. You will make the difference. 

With optimism,
Principal Reeve-Larham


No comments:

Post a Comment